The boys

The boys

Thursday, March 10, 2016


Today is my mom's bday. Nancy W. is such a good Nana, but not because she loves these babies with all of her heart (which of course she does) or because she's so incredibly wise, intuitive, and smart (though she really is)... She's an amazing nana bc of the devotion and respect and admiration and love that she POURS onto her daughters. Even though my sister and I have built a vast network of friends and contacts who we rely on and live alongside, she's still the one we run to when our knees are skinned or our pride is bruised, when our friends or loves "fail us" or our brains feel scrambled by competing demands and priorities.

Based on who she's always been to me, it shouldn't surprise me in the least that she's humble and complimentary of me when I come to her for advice... That she's willing and able to care for and protect me (not necessarily by sweeping in and "fixing" things for me) but by keeping a safe space for me to admit I sometimes feel beaten up and can't handle it all. She reminds me it's hard. Encourages me to be patient with myself. Shoos me away from perfectionist standards. Blesses me with some version of "I know you've got this... There is nothing that you can't handle." She tells me things I hadn't thought of in terms of parenting and priority setting without making me feel negligent or dim-witted.

She knits and sews and feeds us. She smiles and laughs and can't wait to see us arrive -whether with a rowdy, energetic gaggle or if I come late and stealthily on my own to steal a bit of left overs from her fridge.

I call her constantly bc there is so much that I don't know- knowledge she has stashed away, skills she has accumulated... And I'm always a little sheepish when I realize how rare it is to have a mom of this caliber right down the street. How lucky I am!!!

Hope you have a wonderful day, Nana! I'm so grateful to have your genes, and friendship and support. Here's to you and many more adventures together! Happy bday!!!

PS - As I write this, a cardinal is going NUTZ outside my window... Just thought you'd like to know! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment