The boys

The boys

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Crusts


I’m in my kitchen cutting crusts off one turkey and cheese sandwich and one peanut butter and jelly sandwich when for about the 143rd consecutive time during this exercise I think to myself, “THIS is something that I definitely would not be doing if it weren’t for the divorce.”
I’m referring to “cutting the crusts off,” NOT “making the lunch”. But you should know that every time this thought sweeps through my consciousness, the very next instant I imagine my ex-wife, in some other part of the universe inexplicably recoiling, still angry about the percentage of lunches she made compared to me. She really hated making lunches. We used to joke about how horrible it was. Now, I wish I made more of them instead of her.  Not because I think it would have saved the marriage, but because it doesn’t really bother me that much. I sometimes wonder if it bothers her less now that she has left? If it was perhaps the marriage and not the lunches that drove her crazy… but then I shake the questions out of my head and try to stay present: Soft white bread, one likes mayo, the other one gags on it.  The little mayo lover takes his with cheese. The big brother rejects most deli meats even though he’s a proud carnivore. I use the same knife, but wipe it off on paper towels in between ingredients to avoid flavor contamination.
I have a few activities related to mothering that have become downright meditative for me.  Bathing my kids was like that when they were younger. It was the best part of my day. I learned so much about them and poured so much of my love right onto them in those 10-20 mins a day. It almost never felt like a chore. But now that they are approaching 7 and 9, I don’t mind telling you, it’s getting a little weird. They are right in between “complete youthful innocence” and “about to sprout hair”.  They’ve started asking me to wash them in certain places and particular ways that make me cock my head (pun intended) to one side and say, “No, I think that’s got to be your department from now on, my hairless friend.”
As their bodies have gotten longer and heavier, they’ve developed ever more complicated opinions and preferences (everything from soap to water temperature, length of soaking to the color and texture of the towel) Bathing them has become less enjoyable for me. But other precious rituals have evolved…
One morning, Milo and Jake inexplicably started helping me put on my jewelry. At first I had no idea what was happening. “UM, GIVE ME MY RINGS!!” I nearly huffed at them. I was used to grabbing my bracelets and watch and 5 rings and slipping them over my fingers and wrists as we raced down the stairs. But this particular morning it was with a “Can I help? Here, let me do this for you?” kind of expression that Jake slipped the watch onto my left wrist and fastened it. Milo stretched my two silver bracelets over the other wrist. They divided the rings and as each held one to me, I offered the finger on which I preferred to wear it. I explained the order of the three rings I stacked on the ring finger of my right hand and they nodded, committing it to memory.  We seem to be ALWAYS in motion in the morning. RACING, rushing, and (more frequently than I care to admit) I am barking instructions, encouragement, and directives like a drum major. But that morning some things shifted.  First it was my realization that I didn’t have to race through this activity. We actually had plenty of time to stand still and do this together. Then, I guess I started daydreaming: I saw a glimpse of my little boys as the men they might be one day, offering the sweet intimacy of “Here, let me do that for you... That thing that you always do effortlessly… I’m watching you because I love you, and I want to slow it down and be with you while you do it.” I swear, one of them had two different socks on and the other one had dried toothpaste all over his face, but I could feel the heaviness and simultaneous grace of how quickly they will turn into men.
They were proud when it was done. I giggled at all they thought they’d accomplished. And the fact that this went down without any bickering or whining about who gets to do which piece of jewelry was its own little miracle. For about a month, they did this every morning we were together. I tried hard not to “require it” as it had instantly become one of my favorite things.  If they forgot, I would wait to put my jewelry on until they were in the room and sloooooooooowwwwwwwly start until they jumped in, “LET US DO IT!!!”
“Oh, okay,” I’d reply as nonchalantly as possible. (Don’t hate the player, hate the game!)
Since the divorce, I sometimes watch these two and overthink my parenting like a crazy hawk who no longer trusts her instincts: “Should I dive down and grab some veggies to feed the little birds? Maybe mice and chipmunks aren’t best for them right now???” It’s hard not to second guess yourself in even the most ideal circumstances.
One of my problems is, I believe in tough parenting. I believe in accountability. I believe that if my kids don’t hate me on at least a semi-regular basis, I might be doing something wrong. I believe that we have sort of started raising our children so they couldn’t find their way out of an uninflated parachute, for all the panicking they would be doing when that thing softly landed on their heads. I want my children to learn how to problem-solve; how not to choose only the most flawless piece of fruit because they might lose their mind if asked to chew around a “soft spot” on an otherwise perfectly good apple or banana.  I want to nurture them in such a way that they face challenges with confidence, because it is hardwired in them that when you fail passionately, it is way more fantastic and praiseworthy than success that required no effort; I want them to develop a certain tolerance for pain and discomfort. (YES! YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT!!! I do want them to be able to feel and deal with pain!!!) I mean you get me, right??? I just don’t want them to be totally disoriented or devastated when they discover CRUSTS on their sandwiches.
Still… It’s a quandary. And hopefully I have time if this is a parental mis-step, but… I love them. And they live in two homes right now; and I fight the good fight as often as I can, but when I’m making those sandwiches, I can’t help it… at least for now, when they open up their lunch box in the middle of the day, I want them to look at that sandwich and think “That’s what I’m talking about! YES!”
Cutting those crusts off for them…right now… it seems like the least I could do.
 ---------------
Cross posted on NapTime Radio blog

No comments:

Post a Comment